Description & Extraction:
This aromatic perennial grows about 1meter (3 feet) high and is a popular ingredient in wax candles, as an insect repellant, and is also widely used in perfumes, soaps,
skin lotions and deodorants. It is extracted from a hardy grass, native to Sri Lanka and Java. Although this essential oil has been typecast as an insect repellant
(especially for malaria carrying mosquitoes), it also has great benefit in clearing the mind, refreshing rooms and for softening skin, while combating oily skin and
sweaty feet. It is extracted from Cymbopogon nardus (also known as Andropogon nardus) and is of the Graminae (Poaceae) family. It is also known as Sri Lanka or
Lenabatu citronella. It is extracted by the steam distillation of finely chopped fresh, dried or part-dried grass.
It blends well with bergamot, geranium, lemon,
orange, lavender and pine.
The main chemical components are citronellic acid, borneol, citronellol, geraniol, nerol, citral, citronellal, camphene, dipentene and limonene.
Citronella oil has a slightly sweet, lemony smell. The therapeutic properties are antiseptic, bactericidal, deodorant, diaphoretic, insecticide, parasitic,
tonic and stimulant. It is not only of benefit in its use as an insecticide, but its antiseptic properties make it a great boon when wishing to clear a sickroom.
It also has an excellent effect on clearing the mind. It may be used for combating excessive perspiration and for balancing oily skin, as well as fighting intestinal parasites
and bringing down fever.
Benefits of Citonella Oil
• Citronella oil helps to clear the mind and has a general toning and tonic effect on the body.
• It is helpful with colds, flu and minor infections and also has deodorizing qualities.
• Citronella oil's most useful quality is that of it being an insect repellent.
• It is best used in a spray, a diffuser or on a cotton ball amongst linen. It is also useful in ridding cats and dogs of fleas.
• Citronella oil may irritate sensitive skin and cause dermatitis in certain individuals.
• Attracts friends to the home and customers to a place of business when this pungent scent is added to the floor wash water.
• Use it to anoint a Third Pentacle of Mercury
design so that you will be more eloquent in letters, papers or any writings. Keep the talisman in your stationary box and anoint it around the outer circle each time you
Home Remedy for Mosquito's and Bugs
• To make a homemade bug spray or lotion, dilute several drops of Citronella essential oil with a carrier oil and massage onto your skin, or on swollen bites as needed.
• It is also excellent in treating itchiness from mosquito bites and stings.
• Use it in diffusers and get rid of mosquitos.
• Put a drop on the cloths of your children and protect them from mosquitos and bugs.
Use Essential Oils sparingly and with caution.
Avoid in cases of liver problems.
Avoid during pregnancy.
Use extreme caution when using oils with children and give children only the gentlest oils at extremely low doses.
It is safest to consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using essential oils with children.